This recipe was shared “LIVE” on Singapore Capital Radio 95.8 on 13/09/2023
- Black sesame seeds: 50 grams
- Quinoa: 50 grams
- Millet: 50 grams
- Pitted dates: 10
- Goji berries: 20 pieces
- Unbleached rock sugar: 4 to 5 pieces (optional)
- Wash and soak the above ingredients for 3 hours.
- Drain them and add 1.5 to 2 liters of water.
- Bring to a boil in a pot over high heat, then simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool to about 60 degrees Celsius, then pour it into a blender container and blend until it becomes a paste.
- You can consume it while it’s still hot or keep it in the refrigerator to make a jelly.
Benefits of this High-Fiber, High-Protein Dietary Recipe:
- Promotes Satiety: High-fiber foods help increase the feeling of fullness, reducing appetite and aiding in weight control.
- Maintains Stable Blood Sugar Levels: High-fiber foods slow down the digestion of food in the digestive tract, helping to prevent rapid spikes and drops in blood sugar levels, which is beneficial for diabetes management and prevention.
- Promotes Digestive Health: Dietary fiber helps maintain regular bowel movements, prevents constipation, and reduces the risk of colorectal diseases like colon cancer.
- Cholesterol Control: High-fiber foods can lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol, contributing to heart health.
- Enhances Digestion: High-fiber foods support a healthy digestive system, promote the growth of beneficial bacteria, and improve immune system function.
- Provides Essential Protein: High-protein foods are crucial for maintaining muscle mass, supporting the immune system, and keeping skin, hair, and nails healthy.
- Maintains Bone Health: High-protein foods are typically rich in calcium and other essential minerals, which help maintain bone health and prevent fractures.
- Provides Energy: Protein is one of the essential sources of energy for the body, helping to maintain vitality and energy levels.
In summary, incorporating high-fiber and high-protein foods into your diet is crucial for maintaining a healthy eating pattern. These foods help control weight, promote digestive health, support heart health, provide essential nutrients, and enhance the immune system.
Below are some of the key advantages of including these foods in your diet:
- Rich in Nutrients: Black sesame seeds are packed with essential nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, and B vitamins. They also contain healthy fats and protein.
- Antioxidant Properties: Black sesame seeds are loaded with antioxidants, which can help protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Heart Health: The healthy fats in black sesame seeds, particularly monounsaturated fats, can support cardiovascular health by reducing bad cholesterol levels.
- Bone Health: The calcium and magnesium content in black sesame seeds can promote strong and healthy bones.
- Skin and Hair: The vitamin E and other antioxidants in black sesame seeds may contribute to healthier skin and hair.
- Complete Protein: Quinoa is a complete protein source, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids. This makes it an excellent choice for vegetarians and vegans.
- High Fiber: Quinoa is rich in dietary fiber, which aids in digestion, helps maintain steady blood sugar levels, and promotes a feeling of fullness.
- Nutrient Dense: Quinoa is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, and folate.
- Gluten-Free: Quinoa is naturally gluten-free, making it a suitable grain option for individuals with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
- Weight Management: Due to its fiber and protein content, quinoa can help with weight management by reducing appetite and promoting a sense of fullness.
- Nutrient-Rich: Millet is a good source of essential nutrients such as magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, and B vitamins.
- Digestive Health: Millet’s high fiber content can aid in digestion and support a healthy gut.
- Gluten-Free: Millet is naturally gluten-free, making it a suitable grain for those with gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
- Heart Health: Some studies suggest that the consumption of millet may help reduce the risk of heart disease due to its potential to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Satiety: The fiber and complex carbohydrates in millet can help you feel full and satisfied, aiding in weight management.
Red Dates (Jujubes):
- Rich in Vitamins and Minerals: Red dates are a good source of vitamins like vitamin C and various B vitamins, as well as minerals like potassium and iron.
- Digestive Health: They contain dietary fiber, which can promote digestive regularity and prevent constipation.
- Energy Boost: Red dates are a natural source of energy due to their carbohydrate content, making them a good snack for a quick energy boost.
- Liver Health: Some traditional medicine practices suggest that red dates may support liver health and detoxification.
- Antioxidants: Red dates contain antioxidants like flavonoids and saponins, which can help protect cells from oxidative stress.
Also known as goji berry or 枸杞 (gǒuqǐ) in Chinese, is a small red or orange berry that is widely consumed for its potential health benefits. Some of the benefits of wolfberry include:
- Rich in Nutrients: Wolfberries are packed with essential nutrients, including vitamins (such as vitamin C and vitamin A), minerals (such as iron, zinc, and selenium), and antioxidants. These nutrients are important for overall health and well-being.
- Antioxidant Properties: Wolfberries are known for their high antioxidant content, particularly in the form of zeaxanthin and beta-carotene. These antioxidants can help protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals, potentially reducing the risk of chronic diseases and promoting healthy aging.
- Eye Health: The zeaxanthin and beta-carotene in wolfberries are especially beneficial for eye health. They may help protect the eyes from age-related macular degeneration and other vision-related problems.
- Immune Support: Wolfberries are believed to support the immune system due to their vitamin C content and immune-boosting properties. Regular consumption may help your body defend against infections and illnesses.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Some studies suggest that wolfberries may have anti-inflammatory properties, which can be beneficial in reducing inflammation-related health issues.
- Liver Health: In traditional Chinese medicine, wolfberries are often associated with liver health and detoxification. They are believed to help improve liver function and cleanse the liver.
- Heart Health: Regular consumption of wolfberries may contribute to heart health by reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels, as well as improving circulation.
- Cognitive Function: Some research indicates that wolfberries may have neuroprotective effects and could potentially improve cognitive function and memory.
- Skin Health: The antioxidants in wolfberries may help maintain healthy skin by reducing oxidative stress and promoting collagen production.
Including these foods in your diet can contribute to a balanced and nutritious eating plan, promoting overall health and well-being. However, it’s important to maintain a varied diet to ensure you get a wide range of nutrients.